There are a number of well-known superstitions covering almost every aspect of life (and death) such as breaking a mirror will bring seven years bad luck or a black cat crossing your path will bring bad luck.
When it comes to gambling there are also a number of superstitions that players have and these cover everything from choosing casino games to etiquette and so much more.
Here we have a look at some of the weird and wonderful beliefs, superstitions and rituals that casinos and gamblers across the world adhere to both avoid bad luck and encourage good luck when gambling at both land based and online casinos.
- Many casinos in Las Vegas do not have a 13th floor; this is largely due to the fact that the number 13 is perceived as being unlucky.
- Slot machine payouts are usually designed around a combination of three sevens, this is due to the fact that the number 7 signifies good luck, wealth and prosperity in many cultures and religions.
- New players that win are said to have “Beginner’s luck” and it is widely believed that people playing a game for the first time will win.
- Some players will avoid entering casinos via the front doors because they don’t want any of the losers leaving the casino’s bad luck to rub off on them as they enter. Very superstitious gamblers will always enter a casino by the lesser used side entrances.
- Lucky Charms like horseshoes, rabbit’s feet or a supposedly lucky piece of clothing or jewellery are carried or worn by the player and are believed to bring good luck and increase chances of winning.
- Certain actions are also believed to bring good luck like blowing on or rubbing the dice before rolling them in the game of craps, crossing fingers, sitting cross-legged, repeatedly picking up playing cards in the same way and stacking chips neatly.
- Asian gamblers believe that the colour red is lucky and often wear it to bring good luck and avoid a variety of hotel room numbers when booking their casinos stays in order to avoid bad luck.
- Many gambler’s also believe that counting money while gambling can bring bad luck, as can touching someone else’s chips and these should be avoided at all costs.
- Singing and whistling while gambling are also to be avoided if you want to win.
These are just a few of the common casino superstitions and rituals that players believe even if some do seem a little illogical; it seems that they are here to stay and as long as they are not controlling you or someone you know, they can add a little fun to your game play.